Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:00:12 -0500
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Makefile in /usr/src/lib/libdisk WARNS change? PLEASE READ!

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 11:13 PM, Scott Long wrote:

> David Leimbach wrote:
>

>> > This just struck me as a possibility also about 20 seconds ago :)
>> >
>> > Here it is: [comments stripped]
>> > CPUTYPE?=athlon-mp
>> > CFLAGS= -pipe -msse -m3dnow
>> > MAKE_IDEA=YES
>> >
>> > I am now changing CFLAGS to simply "-pipe" to see what happens.
>> >

>> And that had no affect it seems on the problem whatsoever.
>>

> Testing locally, it seems to be triggered by the lack of '-O' in the
> CFLAGS.  FreeBSD has had a policy for quite some time of not supporting
> non-standard CFLAGS settings, though it's perfectly acceptable to
> debug and fix problems of this nature so long as the fix doesn't break
> the standard case.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this! :)

Where is this policy stated?  I must have overlooked it.  I know there
is a
separate set of CFLAGS options for the kernel proper but I though the
whole
purpose of having make.conf was so I could customize my compile options.

If those options aren't to be applied to the world_src in general then
why
*are* they applied?  We could just introduce a 3rd option into make.conf
for world_building and solve it there just as was done with the kernel
couldn't we?

I understand the logic of not supporting all the permutations and
combinations
of CFLAGS that are available these days.  It could expose compiler
internal problems
that don't need to be dealt with by FreeBSD directly but by the gcc
team.  I am
100% fine with this idea and think its a good one :).  I am not trying
rock the boat!

> Your original patch looks fine to me.  Poul-Henning seems to be one of
> the de-facto maintainers of libdisk right now.  He was away on vacation
> last week and probably hasn't sorted through his Inbox all the way yet.
> If he doesn't respond soon, ping him or myself again.

Sure.  I didn't think there was anything at all wrong with my patch and
not a single person has disputed its correctness [yet :)].  It
doesn't break any code and it seems to enable people to build world with
some extra optimization options... libdisk/rules.c being the *only* file
that gets in the way of this :).

For now I will just follow the herd and stick -O in my CFLAGS so I have
the same sources as everyone else and can still buildworld.

Thanks again!,

Dave