Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:41:01 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Death to nfsiod

Recently we have been having the problem of disk wait processes on our
FreeBSD client machines (served from our FreeBSD servers of the same
release, 3.1-STABLE).  On the advice of Mike Smith I killed the NFS
server processes on the FS, and then restarted them, this fixed the
problem.  We then recompiled all of our server machines with "maxusers 64"
since that had been an apparent problem on another [remote access] server.
However, this did not fix the disk wait processes or some other wierdness.
As a bit of a torture test I used mkisofs to burn a Joliet IE5 cd iamge.
I tried this test >10 times and every time *failed*.  The failure would
either be a disk-wait process or a wierd error with the output file (the
2 errors with the output file were both demonstrated with "ls *.iso", error
1 was : ie5.iso: protocol error.  error 2 (this was much more common):
ie5.iso: not a directory), after a couple of seconds the error would go
away.  Getting to the subject of the message, it has been observed that
once a single process goes into this disk-wait state it becomes much more
likely for additional processes to get there.  While running the mkisofs
one time I noticed that at the same time it went into disk wait a nfsiod
went into (and remained) in disk wait.  As a test I killed and restarted
the NFSDs on the server (that woke both the nfsiod and the mkisofs), and
then killed all nfsiods on the NFS client.  The result is that I have again
run mkisofs 10 times, now without a single failure or weird behaviour.

--
David "The one long paragraph" Cross