Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:12:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   radix argument of kvprintf()

I try to figure out the meaning of the argument radix in the routine
kvprintf() in file subr_prf.c.  I find that radix can be values from
2 through 36 and is only used when you have a %n in the format.

The specifier %n is supposed to save the number of characters we have
printed so far.  But the source code of kvprintf() does not show this.
Instead, it specifies we want to print the next argument with base value
of radix. This is inconsistent with what is said about printf(3).

Can anyone explain this for me?  Thanks a lot.