Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jfortin@akalink.com
Subject:   Re: Regarding New FreeBSD BenchMark From Sysadmin Mag (left out a fiew tuning options)

Jonathan Fortin writes:

> It is regarding the new benchmark (FreeBSD-tuned),
>
> They forgot to enable write-cache behind (enabled by default in windows2000
> and linux) and a bit other options I would liked of seened.
>
> hw.ata.wc = 1

That is for ATA. They used SCSI.

Even if they had used ATA, AFAIK all the OSes in question leave
the write cache as set by the manufacturer. This is different
from explicitly enabling it. There was a FreeBSD version that
explicitly disabled the write cache, but this was changed due
to complaints about performance.

> net.inet.tcp.keepidle=10000
> net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=10000
> vm.pageout_algorithm=1
>
> as for mount options,  "noatime".

It's bad enough that a tuned FreeBSD box still collapses under load,
while the untuned Linux box doesn't. Now you want to make the FreeBSD
box do less work. That looks like really foul play to me. The other
systems have "noatime" available too you know.