Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:37:21 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, nwestfal@directvinternet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > No, you are a Luddite if you suggest elevation of individual
> > rights over those of the group, to a point which would result
> > in the desctruction of the group AND the group whose destruction
> > is under discussion is one which promotes technological change.
[ ... ]
> BTW, I'm not suggesting nor have I ever suggested anything about
> individual vs group rights. Those aren't really the issue here on a
> mailing list.

They are, in fact, the ONLY issues.  The mailing list exists to
serve the group.  That is its purpose.  If it can not serve the
group, then it should be discontinued.  You vest ownership of the
list in its participants.  This is an invalid thing to do.  The
ownership of the list rests with the group.

> The real issue, which you dodge daily, is the maturity
> level it takes to ignore something you don't like. You won't address
> this because it is in the realm of emotion, psychology, and
> spirituality...fields with which you are most empirically unfamiliar
> with despite your assertions that these can be reduced to simple
> mathematical problems.

I have responseded to a single troll message.  I did so to belittle
the troll.  I did this as a means of demonstrating to the group that
I in fact did not support the statements of the troll.  Further, I
did it in a way that acknowledged only the existance of the posting
itself, rather than acknowledging the content which the troll wished
me to acknowledge.

I have, further, repeatedly responded to your argument about the
"maturity level it takes to ignore something you don't like".  I
have done so by pointing out that I prefer the participation of
immature, by your definition of "mature", contributors to the
participation of trolls.

You have repeatedly pointed out that you do not value participation
of people who do not meet your criterion for "maturity".

I have pointed out that it does not *matter* to the community
what you, personally, value, what matters to the community is
what the *community* values.

-- Terry