Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 07:27:25 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Mario Pranjic <mario.pranjic@irb.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel problem

Mario Pranjic wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just got a new machine: Intel Server Board (SDS2) with 2 Pentium III
> CPU's on 1.13 GHz and 2 GB of RAM.
>
> So I've installed FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.
>
> I compiled kernel and with these options:
> machine         i386
> cpu             I686_CPU
> options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
>
> MATH_EMULATE is not enabled.
>
> So, after reboot I got the following:
> CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (1127.91-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6b1  Stepping = 1
>
> Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> real memory  = 2147483648 (2097152K bytes)
> avail memory = 2086330368 (2037432K bytes)

> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0
> intpin 2
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> Seems I have some problems with SMP here. Anyone ever built SMP kernel to
> help me out?

Naw, not really a problem.  FreeBSD worked around it.  "SMP: AP CPU #1
Launched" means the second cpu has been started and is available to the
kernel.  I encounter the same message when I install&run fbsd on
dual-cpu compaq machines.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about APIC & company to explain why
8245 should be connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin 2.  A google search will
probably turn up something useful... just haven't been concerned enough
to research it.

If you launch 'top', you should see CPU0 & CPU1 making appearances in
the STATE column.  Easy way to confirm the kernel is seeing&using both
CPUs.

Cheers,
  Greg