Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:49:45 -0500
From:      Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath: a few questions

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:40:21AM -0500, Kris Maglione wrote:
>

>>Second, according to CVS, hw.ath.outdoors was made tunable a year ago, but
>>sysctl says it's readonly when I try to change it. It's stuck at 1, which
>>seems to be a possible explanation for why it's indoor use sucks so badly
>>compared to the windows driver, especially through walls.
>>

>I'm running 5.3-STABLE as of last Wednesday and do not see this sysctl.
>
>Please give version information (uname -a) when posting this kind of query,
>as it's next to impossible to give useful advice otherwise.

Sorry about that. No uname -a, but it's the 5-STABLE from about a few
days ago. The kernel config file is actually the (minimally modified)
FreesBIE config file from a few months ago, but why is a long story.

>You should be able to 'tcpdump -i ath0 -y ieee802_11' to verify that you
>can capture 802.11 packets straight off the card.

I have done that, and I have used kismet. My problem with kismet turned
out to just be a wierd way that kismet reports things.

>I haven't experienced the problems with walls you mention.

I use 11a. Like I said, there is no problem with windows. I forgot to
mention that windows also reports higher data rates (54Mbps when FreeBSD
reports 18Mbps, but I don't trust that, really. It reports up to 108Mbps
in turbo, but the AP only supports 76). Also, through a wall or two,
windows reports high signal, but I can't test that in freebsd, since the
driver doesn't seem to support it.

>>Last, dstumbler doesn't work. It complains, something about ioctl. I don't
>>feel like booting the laptop to get the exact messate at the moment, but I
>>will later.
>>

>dstumbler is for PRISM2 cards only.

thanks, I had a feeling that it was, but I had to ask.

>BMS

P.S. Please don't reply-all. When you do, I just get two duplicate
messages right next to each other. They get sorted to the list's folder
as long as they have the list as an address (hence the Reply-To header).
Thanks.