Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:53:14 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        t_ziel@wp.pl
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remove reverse mode

On 2007-09-04 02:40, t_ziel <t_ziel@wp.pl> wrote:
> Hello
> Your help is very valuable and big thanks for it!
>
> Now when you told me what is 'reverse video' I understand things and I
> can clarify everything. I am an OpenBSD user too and OpenBSD's man
> pages have not this ugly reverse video mode. Instead of this, they use
> white and blue colors, not reverse mode. In other words -- I suggest
> to remove 'reverse video' and use colored text. This is my suggestion.
> I hope that this is now clear ;-)

Color is not available on all terminals.  For instance, if you are
connected through a serial console, it is possible that only normal,
bold, and reverse video are available as text attributes.

> BTW. If OpenBSD's developers do not use it, I suppose that FreeBSD can
> safely mimic OpenBSD's man pages style.

Using reverse video clearly shows underlined text even on monochrome
terminals.

Changing it is easy too.

I don't think I would support the idea of changing the default underline
attribute of our console to "blue" or anything else.  Having said that,
I am not the one who should have the final say on this.  You are
definitely free to implement the change and ask on freebsd-hackers or a
similar mailing list for a code review :)

> PS. Please add my mail address as 'cc' because I actually do not get
> your answers and cannot reply (must create new posts).

I always add the original mailer's address when I reply to FreeBSD
posts.  There must be something else going on.  Are you sure the emails
are not filtered somewhere between FreeBSD's mail software and the web
interface you are using?

Regards,
Giorgos