Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:32:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        paul@pulsat.com.au (Paul Reece)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with an0 and ISA Aironet Card..

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Paul Reece had to
walk into mine and say:

> Having a few problems trying to get an ISA Aironet 4800 card working under
> FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.  I did try with 3.4-RELEASE first with the
> appropriate drivers, but had even less luck.

> What I'm seeing at boot:

Back up. You're leaving out some info.

- When did you buy these cards? (The firmware rev may be an issue.
  knowing when you bought the card helps me figure out if your firmware
  is newer than mine.)
- What sort of machine are you using? (Show us the *whole* dmesg output.
  Timing may also be an issue, in which case I need to know the CPU speed.)

> first suspect lines:
>
> isa0: unexpected tag 14
> isa0: unexpected tag 14

I'm not sure if this is related.

> then:
>
> an0: reset failed
> unknown0: <Aironet ISA4500/ISA4800> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 5 on isa0
> an0: reset failed
> unknown1: <Aironet ISA4500/ISA4800> at port 0x140-0x17f irq 10 on isa0
>

> (machine has 2 cards in it).  When trying with NON PNP mode, the cards
> also have the same problem.

Tell us what kernel config line you use when using the card in non-PnP
mode. Note that the switches on the card must all be in the correct
position in order to enable PnP mode: consult your user's manual for
the proper settings. I believe they all need to be in the off position,
however I don't have the manual here at home with me so I could be
mistaken. (I do remember they all have to be set the same way.)

>  PCI cards work fine, just not the ISA
> equivalents..
>
> Anyone have any clues/hints/tips etc?

Not really. My one and only ISA card works fine, or at least it did when
I did my tests right before I imported the driver. It would help if you
could actually look at the card when the kernel boots to see if the LEDs
flash at all. If the reset is screwing up, then you should see the LEDs
flicker when it tries to access the board. If it's failing to access the
board at all, the LEDs won't change at all.

Try commenting out the code in an_reset() (i.e. make it an empty
function that does nothing) and see if it works then. If it *still*
doesn't work, then there's something else wrong. Try to run the
following program as root:

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <machine/cpufunc.h>
#include <sys/fcntl.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#define IOADDR  0x100 /* change to 0x140 for other card */

main()
{
        int                     f;

        f = open("/dev/io", O_RDWR);

        printf("COMMAND: %x\n", inw(IOADDR));
        printf("PARAM0: %x\n", inw(IOADDR + 0x2));
	outw(IOADDR + 0x2, 0x1234);
	printf("PARAM0: 0x\n", inw(IOADDR + 0x2));

	exit(0);
}

This will print out the command and status registers for the card
at iobase 0x100. If the card has been properly activated, you should
see 0000 for the COMMAND and PARAM0 registers initially, then the
program will try to write 0x1234 to the PARAM0 register and read it
back. If it reads back 0x1234, then the card is configured right
and the reset is screwing up. If on the other hand the program prints
ffff for all of the register contents, then the card is not really
configured properly for address 0x100.

> Cheers.
>

> Regards,
> Paul.
>
> (replies to me direct please - not on list)

I'm doing both. Deal with it.

-Bill