Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:40:26 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>, Johannes M Dieterich <jmd@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update of graphics/drm-next-kmod to Linux 4.11 level for recent CURRENT and 11-STABLE

On 2/28/18 8:53 AM, Jan Bramkamp wrote:
> On 25.02.18 16:48, Johannes M Dieterich wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Please CC me as I am not subscribed.
>>
>> On behalf of the FreeBSDDesktop team and thanks to the tireless efforts
>> of Johannes Lundberg and Hans Petter Selasky (hselasky), I am pleased to
>> report that the graphics/drm-next-kmod port just received an update to
>> Linux level 4.11 KMS/DRM for amdgpu, radeon, and i915 for both recent
>> CURRENT and 11-STABLE.
>>
>> We have tested this on a range of hardware ourselves:
>> * Haswell
>> * Broadwell
>> * Skylake
>> * Evergreen
>> * Kaveri (both radeon and amgpu KMS)
>> * Carrizo
>> * Polaris
>>
>> Needless to say, the possible space of hardware this could run on is
>> significantly larger. Hence, if you find issues and/or want to propose
>> patches, please do so at our development github:
>>
>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm
>>
>> We absolutely do welcome contributions!
>>
>> Johannes
>
> Thx for your hard work. The drm-next-kmod port enabled me to finally
> replace my ageing Thinkpad X220 with newer hardware.
>
> The latest update (g20180117_3 -> 4.11.g20180224) to the drm-next-kmod
> port introduced a regression which causes Xorg on my T470s running
> 12-current from a few days ago to fail at startup stating that it
> didn't find any screen.
(removing freebsd-stable@ from this reply since this is a current system)

interesting, so Xorg complains about no displays being present if i
understand correctly?

can you verify that the i915 module is being loaded at boot, kld stat
should show something like this:
$ kldstat |grep i915
 7    1 0xffffffff82f38000 11f615   i915kms.ko

If it is present, can you also verify that you are a member of the
"video" group?  And failing that it will be helpful to post your dmesg
and Xorg.log.0 to help triage this.

Cheers,
-pete

--