Date:      23 Dec 1998 16:40:49 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: keeping updated with FreeBSD (some help please)

[moved to -questions]

Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br> writes:
> Can anyone do any comments about this supfile?
> I am beginning with FreeBSD, so i just wanna update my 2.2.7 Release to
> 3.0.0! All i need do is to update my /usr/src, right? and "make world"
> right ?

No, you need to convert from aout to Elf, so it's a little more
complicated. In fact, it's complicated enough that I'd recommend doing
a fresh install of 3.0 if that is at all possible for you.

> my supfile is:
> *default tag=RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE
> *default hosts=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.ORG
> *default prefix=/usr
> *defatul base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete user-rel-suffix compress
> src-all
> doc-all
> cvs-crypto

I'd use:

*default host=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress

src-all
doc-all tag=.
src-crypto
src-eBones
src-secure

You probably want the ports as well; if so, add:

ports-all tag=.

Take a look in /usr/share/examples/cvsup for other examples.

In any case, there's no reason not to go all the way and cvsup the
most recent -current (it's pretty stable these days); if you want to
do that, just change 'tag=RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE' to 'tag=.' (in that
case you can remove the 'tag=.' on the doc-all and ports-all lines)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no