Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:03:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        kjelderg@gmail.com
Cc:        bvowk@math.ualberta.ca, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend drains battery on IBM T42

In message: <d9175cad0510121802i3776dcb7j@mail.gmail.com>
            Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com> writes:
: On 12/10/05, Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca> wrote:
: > I just got a new T42 notebook, and everything works ok, except when I drop
: > the notebook into acpi sleep, it burns through the battery in 8 hours or
: > so. It would be nice if the notebook could suspend at least overnight.
: >
: > I've also noticed that the suspended notebook is warm to the touch. And,
: > that when the notebook is suspended, the LCD backlight goes off, but the
: > text is still faintly visible.
: >
: > This site leads me to believe that my radeon chipset isn't being put to
: > bed:
: > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_power_drain_in_ACPI_sleep
: >
: > I'm running 6.0-B5, and I've got acpi_ibm, acpi_video loaded (I kind of
: > wish suspend/resume would work with drm enabled).
: >
: > I had tried using apm instead of acpi, but usb fails to work after
: > resuming, so I didn't test to see if the power drain was better.
:
: you may want to check out radeontool
: http://www.init-main.com/radeontoolport.tar.gz .  Another common user
: of power in suspended laptops seems to be USB not shutting down.  Good
: luck with your troubles,

We should be setting ALL the devices into D3 state.  Unless acpi
tables say something different.

Warner