Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:17:50 -0700
From:      Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD.org pkg mirror for older versions?

> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:14:24 -0500
> From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD.org pkg mirror for older versions?
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:16:01AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> > On 3/24/21 11:08 AM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> > > Are there any sites/cdns that maintain older versions of pkg repos that are
> > > reliable?
>
> > You are trying to do something that is not designed/supported by any
> > system vendor (not only FreeBSD), and it is something system
> > administrators will not do normally.
>
> I wish there was a way to grab old packages, when I run into bugs in
> the latest versions that weren't in the earlier versions. Or dropped
> features, or added features that interfer with something else that
> will take you 6 weeks to clear.
>
> Thankfully I have a big enough pool of machines, that I can usually
> find the older package in one of the package caches of another machine.
>
> But still, would be nice to load the older package back directly.

Packages are built from sources.
You might look at getting the packages sources and then building them locally.
IIRC make package will build a package from your sources.

I mention this because reconstructing the package sources should be
doable (old sources are often archived).

There are package building tools that automate many of these steps.

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D.