Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:17:29 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        intrico@pacbell.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large Hard Disks

On Monday,  6 December 1999 at  6:37:14 -0800, intrico@pacbell.net wrote:
> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 3.3 Stable on a Maxtor 36.5 GB
> Utra DMA hard disk.  I would like FreeBSD to be the sole operating
> system on the disk.  After going through setup, the filesystems seem
> to be created okay, but as soon as it attempts to begin extracting
> files to the disk, the installation quits with a "panic: ufs_dirbad:
> bad dir".

Is this repeatable?

> My motherboard is an ASUS P2B-F with the bios upgraded to the latest
> version which does support disks larger than 32 GB.

This shouldn't be an issue.  FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS except for
booting.

> I originally tried installing FreeBSD on the disk while it was new and it
> failed with the panic string that I gave above.  I then [Microsoft]FDISKed,
> formatted with FAT32 and  tried installing windows 98 alone on the disk and
> it worked, then tried installing Windows NT workstation 4.0 alone on the
> disk with NTFS - and it worked as well. I also tried an 8.5 GB Maxtor and
> FreeBSD installed sucessfully on it.  So now, I'm seeking answers to these
> three questions...
>
> 1) Is FreeBSD incompatible with UDMA?

No.

> 2) Is FreeBSD itself able to handle IDE drives as large as 36.5 GB, and if
>     not, what is the maximum disk size that it will support?

As far as I know, it can handle them.  But I've heard of a few
installation problems recently, which may reflect a software problem.

> 3) If FreeBSD is compatible with UDMA, and is able to handle IDE disks as
> large as 36.5 GB, what would most likely be causing the panic error given
> above?

I don't know.  We're going to have to take a look.  How are you
partitioning your disk?  How many slices (Microsoft partitions) , how
many (FreeBSD) partitions?  How big are they?

Greg