Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:43:31 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, seebs@plethora.net
Subject:   Re: SMP system not running SMP

> Synopsis:  I have a machine with two processors which only shows one with a
> FreeBSD SMP kernel.

[detailes snipped]

I have precisely the same problem, with almost the same hardware. In my
case I have a pair of Opteron 242's - I also have to turn off bits of ACPI
in order not to get it to hang when it boots.

Are you, by any chance, booting off an Adaptec SCSI controller ? That
appears to be the only difference in my setup from those people with
the same board (mine is an MSI) who have it working.

The problem exists in both 32 bit and 64 bit mode too - I have tried
numerous things to get it to boot. When I get time I am going to
dismantle the entire thing and rip out the SCSI controllers and
see if it will boot off an old IDE drive.

Sorry this isn't too helpful, but it makes me feel better to know that
at least one other person has an identical problem, as it makes me feel
it;s a BSD issue and not a hardware fault (I have actually changed the
motjherboard once, to no avail).

-pete.