Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 2012 00:10:37 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Possible move back to FreeBSD

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> I have been using Debian for a few years now (previous BSD user) and I'm
> considering moving back.
>
> Admittedly, I have gotten used to the simplicity of using apt-get to
> update the system.
>
> What will pull me back is if there is an equivalent to use. I do not
> intend on custom kernels, and I don't intend on using ports (it was the
> many hours spent keeping the ports tree current along with installed ports).
>
> If someone would suggest the material to read and perhaps a synopsis of
> the process, I would be happy to do the leg work.

freebsd-update(1) and pkgng should get you to relative feature parity w/
Debian.   However pkgng just entered beta, and likely won't make it into
the base system anytime soon.  That being said, beta testers are wanted and
it's largely functional.

/usr/ports/UPDATING is still the standard method along with a ports
managment tool of your choice eg portmaster(1).

--
Adam Vande More