Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:01:29 +0000
From:      "Christian Walther" <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To:        "Tommy Scheunemann" <net@mail.arrishq.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Filesystem for BSD / Linux environment

On 04/04/07, Tommy Scheunemann <net@mail.arrishq.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm running 2 server, one with FreeBSD and one with Linux. Now I want
> to synchronize data between the 2 servers, over the internet so using
> NFS isn't a solution at all.
> Are there other possible ways of doing it ? AFS still seems in a
> development state and Rsync over SSH might be another possible way of
> doing it - would be just good if everything runs in background without
> any interaction.

If you want to transfer data just once you can even use "scp -r",
should be fine. Or you use pipe, something like:

source-host~$ cd /source/path ; tar -cf - | ssh user@remotehost "( cd
/path/to/destination ; tar -xf -)"

If you did setup key based authentication you won't be asked for a password.

In case of a "real" sync that you want to do on a regular basis I
think rsync over ssh is the best choice. Rsync has some nice features
to just update what is needed. And again you can setup key based
authentication to allow a connection without having the need to enter
a password.

HTH
Christian