Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 08:56:46 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

Michael:

Okay, PLP, the Portable Line Printer Spooler, is available from these
locations:

        ftp://ftp.iona.ie/pub/plp               (main site, but slooow)
        ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/utils/plp
        ftp://ftp.beckman.uiuc.edu/pub/plp
        ftp://ftp.zod.wau.nl/pub/mirror/plp
        ftp://ftp.lps.ens.fr/pub/software/plp
        ftp.uni-paderborn.de:/pub/unix/printer/plp

It was originally written by Patrick Powell, and later modified and
ported by an Internet-wide group of hackers.  It compiles on FreeBSD
fairly painlessly (I did have to edit setproctitle.c and add a
#include <vm/vm.h> and #include <machine/vmparam.h>, and remove a
declaration of malloc, calloc, and sys_siglist).

PLP became an effort independent of Patrick Powell, who teamed up with
one of the major PLP contributors Jason Mason, who together recently
released an alpha version of LPRng, or Line Print - the Next
Generation.  It's quite similar to PLP, actually, but I haven't delved
deeper into its differences.  You can get LPRng from

	ftp://dickory.sdsu.edu/pub/LPRng/LPRng-1.2.2.tgz

It compiles on FreeBSD even more easily than PLP.

And yes, I know, I should make ports out of these.  Soon, I promise.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I took a baby shower. -- Steven Wright