Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:30:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: library-port matching tool?

Michael Lucas writes:
> More than once, I've had this problem where a software package won't
> run because a library is missing.

If you're installing FreeBSD packages, they should notice the
dependency and install the package for you. If they're not doing that,
notify the maintainer of the port from which the package is built.

> Do we have a generalized method of looking up a library to find out
> what port it's in?

Yes, but it sucks:

	find /usr/ports -name PLIST | xargs grep <library>

I had expected "make search key=<library>" to work, but it didn't :-(.

	<mike