Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:10:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increasing FTP thruput.

On one of our development machines we are running wu-ftpd. When FTP'ing
over a T-3 to a PPP (28.8kbaud) line from a PPro 200 to it we were seeing
as low as 2.0k/second. Yet, FTP'ing from a Sun 4/75 we were seeing
2.8kbaud solid performance.

It appears to be [by watching modem lights] that the BSD box isn't
streaming in the sense of a continuous send or receive while receiving
acks along the way. The Sun boxes [all of them] seem to do  this out of
the box.

I verified this behavior on ftp.cdrom.com and random SunOS boxes.

Any ideas how to make the BSD behavior more like the SunOS?

Thanks,

-Tomas