Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 22:55:12 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Freeware reward?????

>dennis writes:
> > Given that most
> > commercial companies have trouble doing commercially acceptable products in
> > this area
> > , whats the chance that some guy with way too much free time can do better?
>
>They can't do it better, usually, unless some kind of system can be built
>to make free software a profitable business.  Cygnus is an example of this;
>I think there other alternatives like funds into which people can donate
>money for a specific piece of free software to be built, like this specific
>case, although in lack of suitable fund we need just to make promises.
>
>If the drivers are completed, within a year we will see which method turns
>out to be the best. If cards supported by freely available drivers sell
>more then than those with no freely available drivers, in FreeBSD
>environment, we can make conclusions.  Until that, we can only speculate.
>Maybe we should drop -hackers off the receivers?

Its not how much you sell, its how much you make on what you sell. Selling more
is easy....just drop your prices. Economics 101.

Overseas, freely-available has more
value because there's a support problem for US-made products. I understand that.
We usually give better deals to overseas dealers because of it.

db

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25