Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:22:03 -0600
From:      Tony Kemp <tkemp@hmd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up NNTP and news server

Hello,

I've been trying to install a NNTP server for a while now on a FreeBSD
2.2.5 system (alright, so I don't exactly know what to do to upgrade--that
question is for another day :) ).  The inetd.conf file listed the following:

nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/libexec/nntpd   nntpd

except, when I look where it points to, there is no nntpd to be found!
There is no package that I can find on the CD to install it either.  I went
to the ftp site and found this package: nntp-1.5.11.5.tgz and installed it.
It installed and I found nntpd in /usr/local/sbin.  So I changed the
inetd.conf to point to it, restarted inetd, and nothing happens.  I try
starting it standalone and it tells me this:

ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found

When the package installed, it added some files somewhere but it obviously
didn't put them in the right place.  Most packages I've added were
available immediately and worked right away.  I'm thinking that the
packages on the ftp site probably require a newer system.

Can some kind soul help me get this working or point me in the right
direction?  I would like to set up a PULL feed from our ISP.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Kemp   ---   Graphic Designer & System Administrator
Huddleston Malone Design    56 Exchange Place, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801.595.6808  Fax: 801.595.6841
http://www.hmd.com/