Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:51:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Removing /boot/modules from BSD.root.dist

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:47:59PM +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone objects to this patch?
> >
> > Yes - this is the only place to put modules which are not built as part
> > of the kernel, for example /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm.
> >
> This port puts it under /usr/local/share/ltmdm/ltmdm.ko.

OK, it may have been a bad example, but I prefer having my kernel modules
loaded via the standard loader.conf method rather than using kldload for
modules which I always want to exist. /boot/modules has been documented as
being in the search path for modules for ages now, it seems unnecessary to
change this. I think that we do need somewhere on the root partition where
modules can be kept, without them being lost on the next upgrade.

Gavin