Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:57:53 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, mekanix@vip.cybercity.dk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving setup from one HD to another.

Since no one mentioned it, the FAQ has an entry on this at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#dmin.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK >

David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> types:
> Do it the first way. Write the new using the old rather than copy the
> old on top of a temporary new.
>
> Off the top of my head I would type the command line:
>
> # dump 0af - / | ( cd /mnt ; restore -rf - )
> # dump 0af - /var | ( cd /mnt/var ; restore -rf - )
> # dump 0af - /usr | ( cd /mnt/usr ; restore -rf - )
>
> For quickie emergency backups all you really need are /etc, /var, and
> /home. When I used to administer a bunch of machines I kept careful
> records of which files got customized in /etc and elsewhere. The record
> was in the form of a file list I used for tar to do backups.

If you make sure that only ports goes into /usr, and application
installations other than through the ports tree go into /home, that
becomes even more true - the only thing on /usr that's changed is the
configuration scripts. That /var is as critical as parts of / is a
good reason to leave /var on /, unless you're going for a readonly
root.

As a final comment, there are tools to help keep track of customized
files - they're called "source control systems" :-). I, personally,
use Perforce. I've got a client that points at / used by root, so the
process of restoring all those customized files is the command
"p4 sync -f" as root. CVS is part of the core system; it should be
able to do this, though someone with more experience than I should
talk about setting it up.

As a bonus, once you've done that, adding GENERIC & your kernel config
files to it is easy, and you can then use the automated change
integration tools to update your kernel config file.

	<mike