Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:53:14 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
Cc:        Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KB problemo.

In message <5.0.0.25.1.20001223123756.01afe2a0@pop3.i4free.co.nz> David Preece writes:
: At 17:00 22/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
: >On a reboot I get
: >beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, then keyboard not found or keyboard error. So, yes
: >as mentioned just recently on this list, hard switches are _BAD_.
:
: So the keyboard controller's toast, is that what we're saying? Presumably
: you've tried connecting the keyboard directly to eliminate the all too real
: possiblity that it's the switch that's broken?

I've found that when the keyboard controller goes like this, it
usually isn't the keyboard controller per se.  On my older 486
machines I have seen this many time, but swapping out the 8242
keyboard controller chip doesn't seem to help....

: Configuring FreeBSD to run headless is a FAQ on -small, and consequently I
: did a page about it that's hosted in half a dozen places.... none of which
: I can remember. Search the archive on -small for "headless" and you'll be
: there.

echo -h > /boot.config

Warner