Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:23:39 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing the world on remote machines (was Re: Re[2]: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?)

Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> types:
>     I always update my remote machines by building all necessary kernels,
>     building the world, and installing it all on a build machine first to
>     make sure I've got the upgrade procedure down.  Then I NFS-export
>     /usr/src and /usr/obj read-only to the remote machines and do the
>     kernel install and the installworld on each remote machine.
>     (note: /usr/src and /usr/obj should be part of the /usr partition,
>     without using any softlink tricks, or running installworld on the
>     remote machines will not work as expected).

The critical thing here is that src & obj have to have the same real
directory name on all systems concerned. If you have a shared
partition and symlink /usr/src & /usr/obj to /shared/src and
/shared/obj on the build system, then the client systems must mount
the shared space as /shared, and symlink /usr/src and /usr/obj the
same way the build system does. Or if you have one of them symlinked
that way (to split the build process across spindles), then the client
system must mount both /usr/src (or /usr/obj) and /shared, and symlink
/usr/obj (or /usr/src) to /shared.

	<mike