Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:57:22 -0400
From:      Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   intermittent HD activity on idle box

I've got FreeBSD version 4.2 installed and sitting idle most of the time.
Occasionally I notice the hard drive working for several seconds to a few
minutes and looking at the console don't notice anything in particular
happening. I realize there are always processes running in the background
so I wonder what is going on and if there's a way I can monitor this sort
of activity?

Also, does the hard drive get defragmented on the fly? Could that be what's
happening at times?

Thanks,

Marty

Face 2 Interface Web Solutions