Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:27:03 -0800
From:      John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>  wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:24:30AM -0800, John Milford wrote:
> >
> > 	Is there any real interest in moving beyond 1TB?  I think that
> > it would incur a non-trival overhead as I believe that unsigned ints
> > would not work and we would be looking at going to 64 bit values.  Or
> > I guess something could be done to simulate larger sectors, but that
> > is pure speculation.
>
> There should be.  The digital library people are talking about tens of
> petabytes per site and that's probably just the beginning.  I think
> they ordered a petabyte scale array earlier this year.  Obviously we'd
> like FreeBSD to be able to play with those. ;-)

	Ok, what I was getting at is that 1TB is a very large
single filesystem, but I can understand as time goes by this will
become more important.   If it is omething that will really help
peolple I would be willing to try to do something to fix it, but
if these types of filesystems are not within reach now, then it
may be a better use of effort to wait on this issue.

		--John