Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:55:07 +0100
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        Morten Johansen <mail@morten-johansen.net>
Subject:   Re: Was: More ULE bugs fixed. Is: Mouse problem?

Eirik Oeverby wrote:

>> Just for those interested:
>> I do *not* get any messages at all from the kernel (or elsewhere) when
>> my mouse goes haywire. And it's an absolute truth (just tested back
>> and forth 8 times) that it *only* happens with SCHED_ULE and *only*
>> with old versions (~1.50) and the very latest ones (1.75 as I'm
>> currently running). 1.69 for instance did *not* show any such problems.
>>
>> I will, however, update my kernel again now, to get the latest
>> sched_ule.c (if any changes have been made since 1.75) and to test
>> with the new interrupt handler. I have a suspicion it might be a
>> combination of SCHED_ULE and some signal/message/interrupt handling
>> causing messages to get lost along the way. Because that's exactly how
>> it feels...
>

> Whee. Either the bump from sched_ule.c 1.75 to 1.77 changed something
> back to the old status, or the new interrupt handling has had some major
> influence.
> All I can say is - wow. My system is now more responsive than ever, I
> cannot (so far) reproduce any mouse jerkiness or bogus input or
> anything, and things seem smoother.
>
> As always I cannot guarantee that this report is not influenced by the
> placebo effect, but I do feel that it's a very real improvement. The
> fact that I can start VMWare, Firebird, Thunderbird, Gaim and gkrellm at
> the same time without having *one* mouse hickup speaks for itself. I
> couldn't even do that with ULE.
>
> So Jeff or whoever did the interrupt stuff - what did you do?

Oh and just to add to the goods/bads: A make -j 16 buildworld still
makes the box sluggish when it gets to the crypto stuff, but not
anywhere close to what it was like before. I'd say it probably matches
or beats ULE now.
And one *major* thing: I can now play sound again! Without clicks or
pops like I've had since 5.1-RELEASE .. I can play sound for real!
*meep* *meep* what a relief! This upped my QOL (quality-of-life) quite
significantly, given that I haven't been able to play music (wihout
being annoyed beyond what is good for me or anyone else near) since,
what, spring? *phew*

Thanks, to whomever of you guys made this possible...

/Eirik