Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:22:16 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        zach@neurosoft.org, joshua@roughtrade.net, java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using NEED_JAVAC in ports

Hi Mario,

> 	I would authorize changes on my ports for adding a tweakable
> need for JAVAC but I would like to understand why would it affect
> jikes? I really use javac. After all, I don't need jikes in my
> two affected ports: javadc and jift.
> 	What your heuristic for picking either jikes or javac?
> I am curious.

The behaviour of your port will not change. The behaviour of some other ports
will change, though. More specifically: The ports that define USE_JAVA but do
not use ${JAVAC} will not depend on Jikes anymore, even if bsd.java.mk
previously determined that Jikes should be used if a Java compiler was
necessary.

The problem is that bsd.java.mk currently sets Jikes as a dependency for any
port that has USE_JAVA defined and Jikes installed on their system...

Hope this is clear. If it's not, then it's my fault. I'm tired ||-)

Ernst