Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:55:37 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@samodelkin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: removing libreadline from base system

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:02:23PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> It is possible to build and link our in-tree gdb & friends with libedit
> after r228114.
> The remaining question is what to do with libreadline:
> 1) just build & link gdb with libedit
> OR
> 2) re-import libreadline from gdb sources and build INTERNALLIB version of
> it that is never installed and is linked only to gdb

Max,
What is the value in doing either?

libreadline isn't infecting any non-GPL code turning into GPLv2.

Some of use have fancy .input files, and quite frankly the vi mode of
libedit still doesn't work quite the same as libreadline.

If you go with (2) above, we'll still have *tons* of ports that want a
libreadline, so we'll just end up growing a port of it and we'll wind up
with a libreadline on the system anyway.

> I am inclined to go for 1) but libedit may have (and has) incompatibilities
> with libreadline.

I'm inclined to DO NOTHING.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)