Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:31:50 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old 4.0-R binaries remaining in 4.1.1-S

At 4:41 PM -0600 10/23/00, Warner Losh wrote:
>In message <39F4B9EA.FACF4464@sftw.com> Nick Sayer writes:
>: I suggest that UPDATING tell folks do an ls -alt on /bin, /sbin,
>: /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec, /usr/lib and /modules and look for
>: old stuff. In the case of /usr/lib, *.so.*.* should be moved to
>: /usr/lib/compat/aout and *.so.[0-9] should be moved to /usr/lib/compat.
>: All others can be deleted. Searching and deprecating old stuff in
>: /usr/share and /usr/include is... undefined. :-)
>
>I'd prefer that we have a mtree.obsolete that can be used to find and
>delete the files.  NetBSD has this concept (I haven't looked at it,
>since they do it as part of the binary upgrade), which might make
>sense for us too.
>
>How do people feel about someone going off and doing this?

Something to find the files would be nice.  I'm a bit uneasy
about it just deleting them.  Perhaps move them into some
"attic".  That way, if it turns out the user still needs them
for some reason, they can readily restore them.  (and restore
the EXACT SAME versions they had been using...)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute