Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 17:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi time-out & lockup under smp

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Tom wrote:

> > This is a fairly well known problem with the 2940U/UW, and probably
> > anything else based on the 7880.  All I can say is that for heavy disk io,
> > don't use that controller, two controllers might be causing some of those
> > problems too.  However I'd also suggest that you take the number of busses
> > down a notch, unless you have devices on bus 255, and that you cvsup the
> > most recent FreeBSD sources,as I think some improvments have been made to
> > this driver, and many improvments have been made to the smp code.
> >
> > - alex
>
>   Well known problem?  I've never seen it, even with heavy io on a 3940UW.
> I use AHC_TAGENABLE, but NOT AHC_SCBPAGING.

I use both with no problems on an aic-7880 (2940UW).  However I've seen
many reports of people having problems with the 2940U/UW doing this sort
of thing under _continuous heavy_ io.  However there's a really great
explaination of what scb paging is in the aic7xxx driver.  Stuff like that
deserves a place in either a.) the man pages or b.) the texinfo database
(or whatever it's called).

>   I don't believe that any changes have been made to the ahc driver
> lately.

True.

>   I think this problem is device dependant.  Certain devices will seize
> the bus, and driver is unable to get it back.

- alex