Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 10:48:52 -0600
From:      gastop@top.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help me! [X crashed and I have no /kernel file now]

>>screen. I had no way to get out of X that I could tell.
>>(Meta-Ctrl-Backspace) was unavailable, and I had to hit the reset button on
>>the case (strike three). Upon rebooting, I keep getting the message:
>
>Ctrl-Alt-F1 should switch you the first virtual console screen (X is
>usually on the fourth screen)

I wish that I would have tried this _before_ I hit reset. I don't know if
it is my video card, or being in xvidtune, but sometimes that would not
work. Other times it would work fine. I know that Ctrl-Alt-+ would not
change video modes while xvidtune was open, but I assumed that was
deliberate.

>I think that there is a kernel on the boot floppy.

There is a file called kernel on the boot floppy, but it is a compressed
file containing sysinstall and the entire rest of the install procedure.
Upon copying it to root, the wd0 starts up into the system installation
screens. Also, it unmounts root and remounts the kernel compressed file as
root. I am able to tell this by Alt-F2 and the fact that running the fixit
floppy after booting from wd0 is the same as booting boot.flp as fd0.

>>Also, is there a way to mount the root directory as read-only? This would
>>make me very happy (I think).
>
>And a lot of programms very unhappy.

Oh well, it was a nice idea.

If I can't do that, would it be possible to disable write-behind caching?
This would be at a sacrifice of speed, but since I am new and just working
out the bugs, perhaps this would be a fair trade off.

Thanks!

Daniel Gast