Date:      Fri, 28 May 2010 19:02:19 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   External USB drive causes system to hang completely

Hi,

This is just a comment to get your feedback on this issue. I am
rsyncing 500 MB from one usb drive to the other. If any of the drives
should fail, the whole system hangs. For example, if there is a power
glitch in one of the drives, the whole system hangs. As you may know,
some of the external enclusores and/or power cables can get in the way
and even the slightest movement can disturb the drive. What I don't
understand is why does it have to hang the system?!

Has anyone else experienced this? I mean I can understand that you may
get corrupted data etc. but how is it possible for a failed write
operation to hang the complete system!? Maybe this issue is only
related to USB drives?

Both drives are USB 2 and have UFS.

Thanks beforehand for any feedback or ideas.

Alejandro Imass