Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:27:52 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (fwd) Re: F00F bug *fixed* in 2.0.x kernels

On Dec 12, 1997 at 09:12:40AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
> > On 8 Dec 1997 23:11:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.development.system
> > torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote:
> > >
> > >If they are indeed still using that fix, they are a sorry lot of
> > >incompetent idiots.
> >
> >    The fix that Linus is refering to is one of several that were evaluated
> > and rejected. The fix that we finally adopted in FreeBSD is the one that
> > involves making the IDT to read-only and catching the write fault that
> > occurs.
>
> Good.
>
> And I think I should clarify my position a bit - people did obviously not
> find my statement about "sorry lot of incompetent idiots" to go over well
> in some circles. Strange ;)
>
> Anyway, first I'd like to point out the "if .. indeed" clause of that
> part, just in case somebody missed it.

I don't think anyone missed it.  However, the phrasing was same as the
question ``Have you stopped beating your wife yet?''  EG: it presupposes
circumstances that are not true.  In this case, the assumption is that the
fix was actually used by FBSD in the first place.

I did propose the fix as a possible solution, and within the same day, I
received reports of it not working for everyone.  Within a few days, I heard
secondhand that it didn't work for you.  Later, I received conclusive proof
from Intel that it would not work in all cases.

In no case did the ``fix'' ever come close to going into FBSD.

I would posit that the people working on the FBSD codebase are competent
enough to not commit a fix until it is proven to work, and that it works
in all cases.  Thus, derogatory statements like the one above, which
assume the opposite, are uncalled for.
--
Jonathan