Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:30:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

> Then we used LiLo -- Linux was living on another (IDE) disk -- to install
> an MBR and partition table.
> Linux and the freshly installed FreeBSD could read and write the SCSI disk,
> but the kernel loaded by LiLo paniced with
> 	"cannot mount root"
> (root was on sd0, the wdc-driver was disabled!)
>
> It seems that during sysinstall and booting a geometry was used which is
> different from the one used by the disk-kernel.

This has nothing to do with disklabel.  It has to do with FreeBSD
reiniting the IDE drive with a geometry other than the BIOS geometry,
for no good reason.

> This installation was really time consuming and it shows there is some
> potential to improve fdisk, disklabel and sysinstall.

Actually, it's the second stage boot, and it's communication with
the kernel that is the problem here...

> It would be great to install FreeBSD w/o the need to install DOS as a
> helper and to synchronize the ideas which sysinstall and the installed
> kernel have about the disk properties.

Agreed.  On the other hand, a DOS install will occasionally install
a boot-sector loaded TSR to supply LBA support to a system that does
not already have LBA support, by hooking INT 13 and driving it that
way.  It's very helpful for future work if LBA support is in there
somehow -- and we don't have an LBA boot-sector TSR to replace the
DOS installed one in those cases.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---