Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Danny Byers <dan@magma.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ADSL, FreeBSD gateway, slow web browsing

hey!

my situation: I have a 1 Meg Modem connection through my ISP in town. My freebsd
4.0 box is setup as a gateway with one network card handling the modem and
another network card connecting to a five port hub.

All PC's on the network have the freebsd box as gateway: 192.168.0.1 with my
ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers listed as they should (all are Win98
boxes). They are also all assigned their own IP (192.168.0.2-4). What should
their Subnet Mask be?

The problem that I am experiencing is that web browsing/file downloading on the
internally networked PC's is not working.

For example, I am working on a Win98 PC (connected to the hub) and I type in a
website address (www.yahoo.com) and goes as far as saying "Tranferring Data" and
then things just hang... no network activity or anything. The same thing happens
when I try to download files from FTP...

I can ping/ICQ/telnet out to the outside network on any internal PC but I just
can't get the web or ftp to work (when I need lots of data transferred)...

I can reach my gateway PC (freebsd box) through ping and I can do a traceroute
to any IP... internal or external

The browser seems able to resolve to the IP of the website address. and even
when I type in an IP of a website, the same thing happens.

Any help or insight into this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here are the specs for the BSD box and the network:

- FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE
- custom kernel
- AMD Duron 600 w/ 64 megs of RAM
- 2 NIC's
	Intel EtherExpress 10/100
	AOpen AON-325 10/100Mbps
- Alcatel 1 Meg Modem
- LinkSys 5 Port 10Mbps hub w/ cat 5 cabling
- all PC's on the internal subnet are win95/98 with the BSD box as gateway

Specific lines from kernel:

options NETGRAPH
options NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options NETGRAPH_SOCKET
options IPFIREWALL              # Firewall support
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options IPDIVERT                # natd support

FreeBSD box is acting as gateway, with the Intel NIC connected to the 1Meg Modem
and the AOpen NIC on the internal subnet

I have natd running with ipfw for the firewall...

MY ipfw -a l ---

00100    0      0 divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp0
65535 3102 717026 allow ip from any to any

(I know this isn't a great firewall setup, I changed the rulesets for testing)

My /etc/rc.conf:

network_interfaces="fxp0 rl0 lo0"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 111.222.333.444 netmask 255.255.255.224"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0"

hostname="blah.my.domain"
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="background"
ppp_profile="pppoe"

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

MY /etc/natd.conf

interface fxp0
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes

Do I need to have a /etc/hosts file setup? And I suppose it should contain the
list of all internal PCs with their allocated IPs?

THANKS A MILLION!
Dan