Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:14:00 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Humour

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:11:35AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> writes:
>
> > jaws # ./lastlog.c
> > ./lastlog.c: /TT_DB: is a directory
> > ./lastlog.c: old_versions/: is a directory
>
> We can laugh at an ignorant "expert", but should we not also laugh at
> an OS and/or shell that is just as ignorant?  Or cry?

Well, I, for one, hardly think it would be worth it to attempt to make
the shell smart enough to detect this kind of "ignorant expert" error.

Of course, we could simply change the shell so that it would only
attempt to execute files that have a well-defined set of file name
extensions -- like some other popular OSes do. Indeed, we could even
ignore the execute permission bit if we did that! :-)

Bob

--
Bob Willcox         "You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?"
bob@immure.com                 -- Steven Wright