Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:33:52 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of 650 UART support

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:01:41 +1100, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
wrote:

>>Why not start from scratch and develop siov2.c which uses elastic
>>buffers, 650 polled vs. interrupt mode switching,  yada, yada, yada.
>
>High costs/benefits.  It can't be made more than about 10% faster in
>that way on a reasonably fast CPU, since most of the overheads are
>for waiting for the ISA bus.

I recall reading that 16-bit ISA I/O is faster, per byte, than 8-bit
ISA I/O.  I  wonder how much better you could do with a card which
transferred two bytes at once on the 16-bit bus.  You would just need
some kind of buffer between the UARTs and the bus.  Maybe even shared
memory ... oh well I guess I could buy a Cyclades card or such rather
than go to all that trouble.

John