Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:54:14 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads (KSE etc) comments

CC's trimmed,

which group should stay? SMP or ARCH?

Daniel Eischen wrote:

> With the exception of  where the thread
> scheduler (UTS hereafter) allocates/requests one KSEG with
> exactly one KSE.

there is no reason why ANY KSEG need sto be limitted to one KSE
by the kernel unless there is only one CPU.
The PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS, KSEG may have one or more KSEs
assigned to it depending
on whether the UTS wants to create more or not....

Thinking about what Terry said, I guess you could have M>N
(M KSEs, N CPUs) in a KSEG, but I don't think it would be
useful to do so.

> > One gross hack might be to limit the number of total KSEs to
> > the number of permitted child processes for a given process,
> > but I'd hesitate to encourage people to use the not generally
> > exposed and non (POSIX) standard interfaces that would be
> > needed for a process to try to do this automatically.
>
> You have to be careful with terminology.  If we're going by
> what Jason has defined in his paper, the KSEG is the entity
> that has the quantum, not the KSE.  So the KSEGs would be
> limited to the permitted number of child processes.

yes, but that gives the ability to use M times as much CPU as a
nonthreaded process.

> If you want to have a separate quantum for each KSE, then
> you can probably eliminate the KSEG.  I've made this comment
> also.

It's possible that we may be able to do so, but
not yet..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org