Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:07:53 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Info and questions about Brother[tm] multifunction machine

On 02/23/12 06:23, Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>

>> In message <4F44E576.5000006@ifdnrg.com>,
>> Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com> wrote:

>>> (?)
>>> I doubt you can email it print jobs...
>>
>> Well, I can't think of any other reason why the printer would be running
>> an SMTP _server_.  I mean it isn't as if it is going to be handling
>> outgoing e-mail for anybody.
>
> Scan to email would use it.  Possibly also it could email supplies
> status messages also, even to an arbitrary non-local address.  "Dear
> owner, hope your vacation is going well.  Just wanted to remind you
> I'm low on yellow toner.  Also, I think I heard a noise downstairs.
> It's probably nothing."
Scanning to email and status updates don't require a server as such, and
in the interests of security they generally don't.

What I have noted before (despite my brainfart on 9100, excuse me; I was
sure I had known it by another name) is that IF the machine is
multifunction and can fax, then it would need a smtp server to email to
fax. To do this it needs to _receive_ email, not just send. There is
usually a driver utility that knows how to speak to it though, but it
should be easy to hack.

As evidence I checked my printer and it can send email status messages
and has no smtp server. Telnet is normal (it is usually secured and used
by a qualified technician), and is used to configure other options and
nvram settings that may not be available on the menu.