Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:09:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@computerstopusa.com>
To:        Ben Wern <bwern@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPD PAP Problems

> I'm attempting to setup PPP Server, and am running into a snag when testing
> the
> login (with a windows 95 DUN connection). PPPD is reporting "LCP: timeout
> sending Config-Requests" and then hangs up. Win95 reports that it cannot
> negotiate a compatible set of protocols. (Thanks, Microsoft, for that
> descriptive error message.) I have replaced the installed getty, pppd, and
> something called
> ppplogin from ftp.sol.com's PPPD replacement.
>
> I have the following line in my ttys:
>
> ttyd0	"/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 57600 ttyd0"	dialup	on	unsecure
>
> My options file reads:
>
> 	+pap
> 	crtscts
> 	modem
> 	proxyarp
> 	passive
> 	192.1.1.20:192.1.1.21 [Yes, I know, the IPs are terrible - test network -
> 	will be reset]
> 	defaultroute
>
> and the pap-secrets file is ok (username	*	password).
>

> Any thoughts?

The only way I was able to get a dial-in PAP PPP server to work was to add
the 'silent' keyword into your options file. Without it, Win95 wouldnt
reliably connect. It was basically hit or miss, with no patern at all. I
was using a autosensing PPP getty though, and was using the login info
instead of a pap-secret file.

If nothing is working for you though, I dunno if silent will make a
difference.