Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:10:25 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard mystery under 4.4-R

> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:05:28 +1000
> From: Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I've got my laptop to boot and install 4.4-R after following the
> magic hw.pcic.xxx incantations in the release notes and have had
> some success using a Compaq wireless network card while visiting
> a distant town.  But recent attempts to get it to recognise a
> Xircom PCMCIA NIC have been unsuccessful.  And now, whether the
> card is in the machine or not, I see the following during boot:
>
>     pccard: card inserted, slot 0
>     pcic0: Static bug detected, ignoring hardware.
>
> And all attempts to talk to the card fail dismally.  I have
> built a kernel with every potential driver installed.  Am I
> looking at a hardware problem or a software issue?

Greg,

There was a problem with some Xircom cards in 4.4-Release. Can you
provide the model of the card? That might make it a bit easier to
figure out.

In general, cards with '2' or 'B' in the model number don't work. The
'2' cards should work with stable or 4.5 when it comes out. Cards with
'B' are CardBus cards and will not work any time soon. They will work
with CURRENT using NEWCARD, but running CURRENT is not for the weak at
heart.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)