Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:05:51 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>
Cc:        Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

* De: "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org> [ Data: 2002-10-02 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: expat2 in the base system? ]
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Marc Recht wrote:
>
> > IMO 1. would be better with a complete expat. So the ports could use the
> > system version and probably/maybe the drift between the official- and
> > system-version will not be that big. And compared to Perl expat it
> > rather small. So the bloat couldn't be that big..
>
> This strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.  Isn't FreeBSD moving to
> making more things optional packages rather than direct parts of base?
>
> If Perl and the userland things which depend upon it can be made into
> install time packages, what's stopping the same thing from being done for
> GEOM (ie. libexpat and the userland things which depend upon it)?

GEOM is a kernel option, and one that is about to become the default, and
a method for a uniform system for passign data around would be great.

I seem to remember a discussion with Robert Watson and myself about a year
ago where we discussed some sort of classy parser in libc for the MAC config
files, etc., and we discussed XML at some point...  Having libexpat around
makes it a lot easier for people who need to do config files, or pass around
data structures.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org