Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 1995 18:02:52 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD2.0.5R ed driver misfeature

The ed driver in 2.0.5R has some (silly) behavior I need to work
around.  I've got a slew of the NE2000/WD8013EBT clone cards
that *used* to work fine in in WD8013 mode in 2.0R, but don't
work this way on 2.0.5R.  If I try to set the I/O address,
IRQ, and IOMEM address, the ed driver resets the cards into
NE2000 mode.  If I try the -1 userconfig value, the driver
cheerfully tells me that WD8013 cards dont support sniffing
the IRQ values.  Catch 22.

I can install using the ne2000 mode of the card, but I really
need to operate these cards in WD8013 mode for lots of reasons.

How can I make this happen?

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA