Date:      08 Aug 2001 19:38:43 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gpg 1.0.6 question regarding --gen-key and /dev/random.

I recently installed gpg 1.0.6, under the pretense that it was about time I
started using some sort of encryption and digital signing package on a somewhat
more regular basis.

It installed smoothly, runs fine, except that I can't seem to generate a key
very efficiently using the --gen-key option.  I select the defaults on what
kind of key I want (DSA and ElGamal), ask for a 1024-bit key (again, the
default), ask it for a 146-day key (expires January 1), give it my real name
and email address, type in a passphrase twice, and then I get this:

        We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
        some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
        disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
        generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.+++++++++++++++..++++++++++++++[...]

        Not enough random bytes available.  Please do some other work to give
        the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 300 more bytes)

I figured, well, that should be easy enough---I have to upgrade mozilla from
ports anyway.  So I started a "make" on /usr/ports/www/mozilla/, and read my
mail and some Usenet from my Gnus process, and so on.

I started this up at 5:30pm, roughly.  It's now after 7:30pm.  gpg hasn't given
me any indication that it's getting more random bytes (no symbols are
printing), and it's using no CPU time.  Mozilla is still compiling (this on a
700MHz Athlon---dang!), and I've been doing a bunch of other things as well.

Is something broken?  Should gpg be using /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random?