Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:25:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Geff Hanoian <boing@boing.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to fix cant load /kernel - NFS corruption?

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Geff Hanoian wrote:

> Mark,
>
> 	I know this is kind of silly, but I've been burned by it many
> times before.  You're sure it was a binary xfer of the kernel with ftp?

The original copy was using NFS. The copy that worked was using ftp. An
ASCII mode transfer would not put a 0 at the start anyhow. I'm concerned
that mounting the other machines root fs using nfs and then cpio'ing
everything over created files that weren't exactly the same. Some seemed
to have an extra byte inserted at the start. They had the same length so I
can only assume the last byte was missing. This prevented the machine
booting.

I do have some understanding of the boot process :)