Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:32:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Teodor Iliescu <tiliescu@learn.senecac.on.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE startup slowly on "initializing system service"

Hello,

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:

> Good afternoon everybody,
> I know this is not a new problem. But till now i found no solution for
> this. My KDE 3.1.4 and 3.2 (just updated recently through ports) enter the
> same problems: startup slowly on "initializing system service", konqueror
> hangs sometime (~1 min) when i try to browse local directories (but
> after the first hang, konqueror can browse normally), kaddressbook show

> %uname -a
> FreeBSD chinhngt.b.gz.ru 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0:

I would recommend adding something like this to your /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	chinhngt.b.gz.ru

I have noticed this problem when you change your domain from the classic
'localhost.localdomain' to something else, and KDE does not know how to
resolve it, thus the slowdowns.

"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
- Dennis Ritchie

Teodor I.
http://penguincomputing.iwarp.com
GPG key fingerprint : 9AC8 A05C 78AD AD73 91DB  CBE4 B644 F402 FBFD 5927