Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 00:50:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        sandy@novanet.net.au (Sandhya)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking problem with re-built kernel : HELP

> Hi,
>
> The kernel I have rebuilt boots fine. On booting the new kernel, I can see the ed0
> interface is active (ifconfig ed0). But if I try to ping anything I get the following
> error :
>
> ping : sendto : Permission denied
>
> Even testing the loopback by ping 0 gets the same result. Any help in this will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> The config file is reproduced below, if that's any help.
[...]
> options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
> options		"OPEN_MAX=128"
> #options	GATEWAY			#internetwork gateway
> options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
                  ~~~~~~~~~~   That's your "problem"
In 2.1.5 the default behaviour of the packet filter is to deny everything.
Look into /etc/rc.firewall for configuring your rules
and enable it in /etc/sysconfig.

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                                                     (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )